Free Bikes 4 Kidz Host Job Description 2017
Do you love working with people, bikes and doing great things for kids in need? Consider spending the next 3 months as a Free Bikes 4 Kidz Host!
Free Bikes 4 Kidz is a nonprofit organization geared toward helping all kids ride into a happier, healthier childhood by providing bikes to those most in need. The public donates gently used bikes, we organize thousands of volunteers to clean and refurbish them and then we give them away to deserving children. In 2016, FB4K collected, restored and distributed over 5,500 bikes via community organizations through the generous help of over 2,000 volunteers.
The host is our chief engagement lead. As a host, you will introduce volunteers to us by sharing our story and serve as the primary volunteer trainer and liaison while managing the FB4K warehouse site during the bike refurbish stage.
This is a seasonal position, September 15 – December 15, 2017. Hours range from 25-40 hour per week depending on applicant’s availability and coordination with other host team members (5-6 people).
Reports to Executive Director; works closely with the Volunteer Coordinator and Lead Mechanics. Location is the warehouse located at 7300 49th Ave S, New Hope, MN.
- Effectively share the FB4K story
- Open/close FB4K bike warehouse
- Prep site and ensure warehouse is ready for volunteer shifts
- Serve as primary onsite volunteer contact and supervisor; manage and engage volunteers: greet volunteers, conduct FB4K orientation, provide instruction, guide and monitor work tasks and progress
- Serve as FB4K representative and spokesperson; create positive and fun volunteer experience and atmosphere thereby supporting volunteer coordinator with future volunteer recruitment
- Review each volunteer shift registration entries; ensure contact information and waiver signature is complete
- Organize and manage documents and reports, daily: FB4K print collateral, volunteer records (attendance, participation numbers), bike tally/location reports; record information; inform team members via communication log
- In conjunction with the mechanic team, ensure volunteers are comfortable with and knowledgeable about their pre-selected position; provide a safe and efficient work space
- Manage and sort bike inventory by size; maintain records of bike refurbishment process and status (e.g., X number need to be cleaned, X number need to be worked on by a mechanic, X number are complete, etc.); report daily to mechanic and admin team
- Organize and maintain non-mechanic parts of the warehouse (e.g., welcome area, kitchen, bathrooms). Includes ensuring proper supplies for these areas as well as light housekeeping; work with MOA staff to facilitate trash and recycling disposal
- Monitor volunteer inventory supplies, replenish as necessary
- Attend weekly full-staff meetings to assess plans, progress and concerns
- Track and submit time sheets in timely manner
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication and people skills; able to lead, engage and motivate volunteers
- Familiar with interactive web-based tools/platforms such as Google Apps
- Organized and efficient, work effectively under pressure, respond positively to change, attentive to detail
- Must have a positive disposition, be flexible, responsive, adaptable; must possess a professional, positive, personable demeanor and be a collaborative team member
- Able to accommodate a flexible/irregular work schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends. (Must be available to work key event dates: Saturday, October 8; Saturday-Sunday, December 3-4 with possible extended hours on those weekends)
- Must be willing to work at least 20+ hours per week during the 3 month season. Ideally, willing to work closer to 30-40 hours per week.
- Prior experience with nonprofit organizations, a fondness for biking and connection to the biking community, a plus
- Physical demands: extended periods of standing and walking within facility area
Submit resume and cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position to Tia Martinson, firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: FB4K Host. Preference will be given to applications submitted by September 8.